To provide a welcoming bicycle education space run by community volunteers where anyone can learn how to fix bicycles or acquire a used bicycle for a donation.
The purpose of operating a singular bicycle repair co-op in this neighborhood is to serve the large communities of Latino/a immigrant cyclists along with other members of the community and surrounding communities in a culturally relevant, bilingual, community driven way. Bici Libre uses a combination of popular education, non-hierarchical decisions-making models, and traditional bicycle shop practices to operate the space. It also offers a way for local community members to obtain affordable bicycles, learn key mechanic skills, develop community networks, and be involved in a positive space that promotes and increases cycling in these neighborhoods. To these ends, we will focus on the following objectives related to our purpose:
- To educate the Los Angeles community in bicycle mechanics
- To promote the use of bicycles through bicycle centered events
- To provide services at reasonable rates for low income members of the community
- To instill confidence and develop autonomous skills in bicycle riders
- To provide a welcoming space for low income and immigrant, Spanish speaking cyclists